Friday, August 27, 2010

That morning

And suffer they would.

The plan forming in my mind was to make them fear for their lives. To make them know the fear that my mother must have felt. To make them feel it was futile to even try to escape, but watch them scurry around and try.

I wanted to destroy them, from the inside, out. Watch their fear tear apart their reason, and rational thought; and only at the height of their terror, end it.

So shortly before dawn broke, I left their camp; but not before I made it clear that someone had been there. Once I was done, I headed for my perch in the trees overlooking the campsite. I wanted to be able to see them when they woke up.

It didn't take long, they were awake by the time the light of the sun shone through the canopy of trees.

I watched them stir from sleep, and I pulled back on my bow. My arrow flew true, and landed with a soft thud as it buried itself in the ground mere inches from the face of the shortest and fattest of the dwarves.

It was almost comical to watch what happened next, and if it hadn't been for the cold rage driving me, I might have even laughed (yes at this point, I was still capable of laughing).

His eyes opened slowly, blinking the sleep from his eyes, not quite able to focus just yet. Then the slow recognition of what was literally all he could see in front of him.

Confusion was the first thing that crossed his face. You could see him trying to process, first exactly what was in front of him; and then WHY it was in front of him.

Fear was the second thing that crossed his face, as it all sank in. You see, attached to the arrow was a little note. It simply said “I'm coming for you”

No comments:

Post a Comment