Friday, August 6, 2010

A touch beyond the beginning now

Onward to the mission, I suppose.

Here, I will have to get into a few details that I find distasteful to think about, even today.

When I found my mother that day she had been badly beaten and her body had clearly been ravaged; and she had been left there to die.

I sometimes wonder how things would have gone if I had just left her there and gone home. Blocked the thought and idea of her there out of my head and tried to move on with my life. Maybe things would have been better for me…

But I didn’t, and they weren’t.

So when I found her in that clearing; when I smelled the blood, and fluids and that stench that still haunts me now I did what any good daughter would do. I carried her home, I washed the filth from her, and I vowed revenge.

I can’t quite explain what happened to me that day. I mean, I had been angry before, hell it wasn’t an unusual state for me. But this, this was very very different.

Whenever I felt angry, my face would get hot, and my hands would tremble a bit. It always seemed like the world was tinted a little bit red.

This… my hands were steady and my body went cold. It was as if there was a block of ice in my chest. And in my mind, it contained only one thought.

Revenge.

Once my mother was comfortably resting, and I had a neighbor to look in on her, I packed a few provisions and set out to the clearing once again. My first stop, the clearing I found her in.

It wasn’t hard to pick up the trail from there.

There were three of them, dwarves by the smell that still hung strongly in the air. And they were drunk; the stench of ale and body odor was enough to track them from there, although even if it wasn’t they left a clear trail where they went.

I found them 2 days after I found my mother.

And any thoughts of turning back were soon banished.

No comments:

Post a Comment