Friday, July 2, 2010

Introductions - My Father

I'll start with a point of my life that seems obvious.

My Father.

He and I did not have the best of relationships. We rarely saw eye to eye, either physically or figuratively. He was always locked away in his laboratory, experimenting with one spell or another. He was the kind of person who always searched for more power, more influence.

The few times he did surface from his studies, he basically ignored my existence. He would dote on my mother, whom he loved dearly, and would often try to woo the village council into allowing him a seat. He was brilliant, and had a lot of wonderful ideas, but there was one problem that always prevented him from being allowed a seat.

He was batshit insane.

I'm not sure how many wizards you may have met in your lifetime, but I can assure you that no matter what they study, they have one thing in common.

Insanity.

My father was not an exception to this rule. He was not only insane, but he hated me. He hated the idea that he had to share my mother with me. He hated the drain on resources I was. He hated that I had no magical aptitude. He hated that I was a girl. There was very little I could do to please him.

Imagine that for a moment. A child who grew up with a father who was not only a crazy wizard, but hated you as well.

From a very young age, I learned to stay out of my fathers way, and seeing as how he generally avoided me, it wasn't that hard to do. And while we were rarely together, I always felt a kind of loss when it came to him. All I wanted was for him to accept and to love me.

What girl doesn't want their daddy to love them?

2 comments: