Friday, July 9, 2010

Introductions - My Mother

I talked about my father, and touched a bit on my relationship with him, so I'd like to talk about my mother this time.

My mother was the fairest of the fair. Beautiful beyond belief, and kinder than kind could be. When I say that she was a pacifist, I mean it in every sense of the word. She wouldn't have anything to do with violence. She wouldn't even treat people who had been wounded in battle, if she didn't feel that NOT treating them was a form of violence greater than the battle itself.

For every bit of parenting my father lacked, my mother gave me double.

She was the kind of mother who knew exactly how to handle every situation. She could soothe my father from the deepest rage, and my tears over a broken heart or a skinned knee. She always knew what I needed, almost before I needed, but she'd never pressure me, or make me feel judged in any way.

I was never sure if this is just how she was, or if it was because she knew what my father lacked, she had to provide. I'm pretty sure it was just her nature. I don't think there was another elf on the planet who would have married my father. I don't think any other woman would have been able to reach him the way she obviously did.

In the village, she had a place of great honour among the council. While she was not on the council itself (she opted to not take part; she didn't want anything to do with making the kinds of choices they often had to make) but she was an advisor, and someone they listened to.

And she was the one who eventually put the bow in my hand for the first time.

It was way too large for me, and I couldn't draw it back at first, but it was love at first touch. It was like she knew I was spinning my wheels trying to find my place in the world.

It was like she always knew who I was and where I was going.

But that was my mother for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment