Friday, July 23, 2010

Introductions - My Home

I suppose I should get into the part of the story where I tell you about the town itself.

There really isn’t much to tell to be honest, it was quiet, idyllic truth be told. We had what we needed, either from the land or from the few traders that ventured into our lands. We were surrounded by woods, and there was plenty of game to hunt. And my mother was quite accomplished when it came to mushrooms and herbs.

There was a tavern in the center of town.

It didn’t get much use, mainly for town council meetings, and when the traders came to town.

We did get the occasional adventurer out this way, but they’d never last long.

There is one thing I’d like to touch on here. Every town has its ghost stories and myths, and ours was no different. So I thought at least.

Ours involved a secret cave on the outskirts of town. A cave that the elders took the ‘bad’ people to, and this is why everyone in town was so calm and peaceful. The troublemakers would be rounded up and taken to this cave to be taken care of, one way or another.

Let me tell you, I spent a lot of time looking for that cave as a child, and even in my early days when learning to hunt. I could have sworn I looked EVERYWHERE for that damned cave, but never ever found it.

Looking back, I wish I hadn’t spent so much time looking for it. I wish I had just left it at being a wives tale…

In the end, it didn’t matter. Eventually, I did find the cave; its location is etched into my brain even today.

But that’s a story for another day, now isn’t it?

No comments:

Post a Comment